background

Friday 26 March 2010

Rather engaging...

As a frequent Twitter user I've engaged in quite a few "conversations" using the various options - @username, DM username, RT etc. I think it takes some practice to use these features well, and I'm not sure I've quite cracked it yet. Sometimes I find that when replying to someone I follow, my follow-up tweet is incomprehensible to my followers, who did not see the original tweet. Yet it would be cumbersome to provide the original tweet there too, and would go over 140 characters.

Sometimes I wonder about the optimal tweet volume. Periodically I begin following someone only to unfollow them the next day because they are tweeting too much, and filling up my stream. Maybe if you follow huge number of people this is less noticeable. Institutions seem particularly guilty of this, they may have multiple people tweeting on one account, and are probably under some pressure to promote items (like articles in a newspaper), and it can get tiresome.

No comments: